Monday, August 20, 2012

Why I Love My Wife

My wife :)
I snapped at my wife today. I snapped and hated it.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

My nostrils flared at that, my eyes narrowed. "I cleaned the bathroom yesterday, and guess what I found? An open yogurt. An open yogurt in the bathroom, on the floor, right beside the toilet!"  I flung my hands around, constructing the scene, flinging rage across the kitchen. "One of the kids did it." One of our demon kids made that atrocious mess. I just knew it.

But that's not all they did. Oh no. "And today, I found something even worse." So horrible, so twisted and unimaginable, I could barely describe it. "A spoon covered in peanut butter. A spoon on the toilet." I shivered as my last words hung in the air.

A spoon on the toilet.

None of my children had come into the kitchen. No one was willing to confess and apologize. So I took a step forward, determined to hunt them down, when I heard a sizzle. The bacon! Shit. I ran to the stove and started mixing the crispy, burned meat, as curses spewed from my mouth. "I'm getting so pissed." And then I heard myself for the first time. Really heard myself.

I'm getting so pissed. Not a confession. Not a declaration. A threat. A threat that anger clawed inside me and someone would pay.

Someone had payed. For a stupid spoon, I'd yelled at my wife and scowled at her.

I'd snapped at my wife, and yet she touched my arm. "It's okay, Honey. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too. There's just too many things I have to do at the same time. Breakfast. Laundry. Cleaning. My own work."

She smiled. "I understand. I wish I could help more, but I really have to get this book done." My wife had locked herself in her room, alienated herself for two straight days, so she could finish her novel on time.  

"I know." And I did, I really did know. My wife had made a promise to her publisher, that she would deliver the final manuscript in a few days though she still had much work to do. She wouldn't break that promise.

And I wouldn't break mine. I would take care of my family.  I would take care of my wife. And if that meant watching the kids 24/7, slaving over a hot oven in the middle of summer, doing all the dishes (in hot water), doing the laundry, and feeding our two dogs and two kittens so she could finish her novel...

Then I would do it.

I'd do it because I love my wife. And it'll be worth it. I know. I've done it before.

A year ago, my wife had committed an entire week to finishing her first novel. And I committed to taking care of everything else. Yes, it was stressful. And yes, I snapped at my wife, because sometimes the thoughts Can't you just write this later, Can't you just put this off for another time and help me, crossed my mind.

But she didn't put it off.

That's why I love my wife. That's why I'm proud of her. She didn't put off her dreams. She stayed committed and finished that first novel. It went on to win an award and become a bestseller on Amazon.

So do I regret keeping the family together for a week? No. I take care my wife. I love seeing her smile and cheer as she does what she loves most.

So help a guy out here. That first novel my wife finished a year ago? Well, it's having a sale on Amazon.com today. It's only 99 cents. If you ask me, that's pretty cheap considering all the cooking and cleaning I had to do on my own, not to mention dealing with the whiny children. (You know I love you girls.)

So, if you have a second, and a dollar, go to the link right below this. If you think you might like the book, give it a shot. My wife wrote it, and it's just as daring and funny as she is.

So help a guy out here. Help a guy make his wife smile.

Here's the link: Buy on Amazon

My wife's kitten, Shadow, with my wife's book.

PS: I love you, Kimberly. Sorry I snapped at you today. I know you'll take care of the entire house for me next time I'm deep in some project. But know, that you don't have to.

I love you, baby.

11 comments:

  1. Awwww! I so love my husband. Babe, you are the most amazing man in the world. And what this post doesn't show is that you're also helping me with edits and outlying and beta reading of my book, while handling all these other things. And you take on other work to help us out too.

    I love you. My best friend, my lover, my soul mate, and my writing partner. I love you so much! xxoxoxo I wouldn't have these books out if not for you. I wouldn't be where I am today, if not for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwww....reading yhis post is like opening a jar of spiced honey! I admire you both :) I am going to share this post with my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading and sharing Mina. That really means a lot to me. I hope your hubby likes it as well. May you both have a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two complement each other perfectly! Nice to see a couple that compromises, shares responsibilities, helps one another and appreciates one another! A relationship is give and take..,it's all about sacrifice & compromise but still being able to "do you!" I'm happy for both of you... Your mutual love gives the rest of us Hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Scorpiol13. I see relationships in much the same way. I am so glad that I've found Kimberly, the love of my life.

    She completes me perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A plea from a sweet hubby AND an adorable kitten making eyes at me? Shrewd marketing plan. Shrewd. (Bought it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Jesi Lea Ryan. The kitten is SOOOO cute. My wife took the photo. Her friend, Pattie, added the text. Kimberly woke me up early today. "I need you to see something!"

    "What?" I asked. It better be good.

    Then she showed me the kitten and it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dmytry. You are wise beyond your years. ; )
    Aunt Susie ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He truly is! xo That's why I married him. :)

      Delete
  9. You guys are so cute I want to squish both your cheeks. Seriously though, not only do I need to work through my TBR badly and get Forbidden Mind read (moving it up!) but awe man do I need to work on controlling my anger better. Great example for us non-calm people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gina. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. And yes, you must read Forbidden Mind :)

      Delete